Adventures with Cake

This was my first cake making venture in Turkey.  I’m getting familiar with the oven but I am not yet familiar with the baking tins.  I used a recipe from a Turkish cookery magazine.  I checked that I understood all the words and instructions.  My only confusion here was that what started out as six peaches seemed to end up as apricots.  So I wasn’t sure what fruit to use, how much to use or how to incorporate it into the other ingreditents.  I decided to use a mixture of peaches and pears.  I cut them up.  I peeled them.  I greased the loaf tin.

Turkish recipes are interesting.  They assume you know all sorts of things that, presumably, your mother teaches you.  My mother does not like cooking.  I am pretty well self-taught.  She was kind enough to let me loose in the kitchen alone.  Even so, I had no way of learning Turkish techniques.   I had to google for the difference between cutting onions yemeklik and cutting onions piyazlık (I had, actually, been getting this right).  Not that there are onions in the cake…  However,  it didn’t tell me what size or shape of tin to use.  The picture had a ring mould.  The recipe said it does 6-8 portions.  Our ring mould is huge.

Turkish recipies tend to give quantities as ‘a water glass’ and ‘a tea glass’ without specifying how much these glasses contain.  It would matter if you were making something without, say, eggs.  But this had four eggs and, with cakes, it’s important to keep the proportions right.  Fortunately I have a recipe book that defines these glasses.  So I poured water from various glasses into a measuring jar till I had the volumes right(ish).  The glasses that we use for water are the right size.  The tea glasses are the right size.

It all worked remarkably well.  The beater attached to our new hand blender turned the eggs and sugar into foam.  Everything else (including what seemed to be a huge amount of yoghurt)  stirred in.  But there was no way this was going to fit into my greased loaf tin.  So I quickly greased the ring mould and put the fruit in there – poured the batter over the top.

Into the preheated oven – 15 to 20 minutes down the line and it’s rising well, going brown.  Test it at 45 mins (as per recipe) and it is done.  The problem was it would not come out of the tin in one piece.  Either I had not greased the tin well enough or I misunderstood the unmoulding technique or it just plain got stuck to the tin.  This happens.  Though it does not usually happen to me.

I stuck it back together as best I could then I poured over some lemon drizzle syrup (which was not in the original recipe).  It has turned out rather well, though I should not say so myself…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s